Today, during Apple’s big media event, Phil Schiller announced the next generation iPhone, the iPhone 5. The device is made entirely out of glass and aluminum, and Schiller said that it is “the thinnest phone we’ve ever made, and the lightest.” It’s 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S at just 7.6mm thick and it is 20% lighter. As we all expected, the device has a 4-inch display with a 1136 x 640-pixel resolution at a 16:9 aspect ratio. The specs can be found below.
- Retina display: 4-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display, 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi, 44 percent more color saturation, 800:1 contrast ratio, and fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front.
- HSPA+, DC-HSDPA
- LTE (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T for LTE. In Canada, Rogers, Telus, and Bell)
- Wi-Fi (2.4ghz and 5ghz on 802.11n)
- A6 chip (compared to the A5— it is two times faster but 22 percent smaller)
- AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV support at 720p
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery: 225 hours of standby, 8 hours of LTE, 10 hours of Wi-Fi, 8 hours of 3G, and 10 hours of video.
- iSight: 8-megapixel, backside flash, hybrid IR filter, five-element lens, sapphire lens, f/2.4 aperture, next-generation ISP, spatial noise reduction, smart filter, better low-light performance, 40 percent faster on photo capture, and HD video recording (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio.
- FaceTime HD camera with 1.2MP photos and HD video (720p) up to 30 frames per second, improved video stability, face detection, FaceTime over cellular, the ability to snap photos while shooting video, etc.
- Audio system: improved speaker design—20 percent smaller speaker and wideband audio
- Connector: “Lightning” (so…Apple will have Thunderbolt and Lightning), all-digital, 8-signal design, adaptive interface, improved durability and reversible.
- Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic
- iOS 6: Passbook, GPS, Maps…( iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2… upgrade for free to iOS 6).
The rest of the specs are available at Apple’s website.